Phoenix – Italian Edition
Phoenix was an interactive, sensory performance developed by 9 Nordic and international artists from various genres. The audience was led through the experience alone, guided by an interactive sound system – working via GPS – and by encounters with performers. A hybrid form consisting of installation, soundscape, interactive technology, video, poetry, sensory experiences and performance.
You show up at an address by the lake. You walk though the iron gate into a huge, old garden. So many different smells here. Between leaves and trees, on roofs and in boat garages you meet peoples’ eyes, touch, play – dark sheds following the sound, you are invited into a boat and to your private shore…
People and experiences lead you into the crevices of what you are, what you remember, what you fear and dream of.
The performance is a co-production between Wunderland and LIS LAB Perfoming Arts.
The Phoenix Concept:
You become the main character: physically, you move through the harbour area, mentally and emotionally you are invited to travel through your own personal adventure.
Encounters and experiences lead you further into the crevices of what you are, what you remember, what you fear and what you dream of.
Each of these experiences has been developed based on the key themes within the classical ‘journey’ myths and is designed to give the audience the opportunity to delve into the main theme in a deeply personal and experiential way.
The experiences of the journey aim to touch the underlying knowledge in the body, and ask questions that pass beyond our normal consciousness and control. This creates an opportunity to open new or forgotten doors in the mind of the audience.
The audience said:
“I truly have no words. I have tried other “performances” of this kind but I am sure that I am never going to forget this. Everyone was unbelievably skilled. Complimenti!”
“A very special experience, filled with emotion and senses. During this “journey” you can explore sides of yourself which we normally cannot understand. Really moving!”
“To get lost and find yourself again. Grazie.”
- Artistic leader and performer: Mette Aakjær (Denmark)
- Composer and sound artist: Thoranna Bjornsdottir (Iceland)
- Co-creating performer, dancer and translator: Sara Vilardo (Italy)
- Co-creating performer and dancer: Cindy Rudel (Germany)
- Co-creating performer and dancer: Nina Matthis (Sweden / Serbia)
- Visual artist: Sigrid Astrup (Norway)
- Writer: Sonja Winckelman Thomsen (Denmark)
- Production leader and performer: Kirsten Pallesen (Denmark)
- Technician and performer: Sergio Taddo Taddei (Italy) Additional credits for the first version of Phoenix in Aarhus 2014:
- Co-director and dramaturge: Sarah John (Australia)
- Technical interaction designer and visual artist: Rune Brink (Denmark)
- Interactive technique: DimsOs
Co-produced by LIS LAB – Performing Arts
Supported by: Nordic Culture Point, The Danish Arts Counsel, Bikubenfunden, PerCorpi Visionari.